Thursday, February 1, 2007

Let's Rock 'n Roll

Should we, as parents sensor what kind of music our children listen to or should we let them have their freedom and choose what they want to listen to? This is a tough question and one many parents would prefer not to make.

When I was a teenager, I was allowed to listen to any music I chose to listen to. It didn't matter if I listened to heavy metal, rap, country, or disco. My parents always gave us the freedom to listen to what we wanted. This is once stance you can take as a parent, but is it the stance you should take.

As a parent, I listen to the music my children like. If there is a new band that they would like to listen to, they ask first and we listen to it together. We pull up the lyrics and decide if they are appropriate for them to hear. I think this is an important part of a parents job. I have friends who children are allowed to listen to anything they want, it doesn't matter what type of music.

One of the children came over to our house and was talking to my son about this new group and did he want to listen to the CD. My son told him that he had to clear it with me first because from what he had heard about the group they degraded people and especially women. The boy was shocked over this, but he said something that brings it into perspective. He said, your mom monitors what you listen to? My son answered, not only what I listen to, but what I watch also. The boy said, Man, I wish my mom did that.

Our children's lifestyle depends on us as parents, we are the ones responsible for helping them make the right decisions. If we allow them to listen to and watch whatever they want, then we aren't teaching them that there are correct ways to behave and incorrect ways. By putting restrictions on our children, we can help them grow into responsible, caring adults. They will be able to make decisions on the content of items not just because their friends are doing it. If I can teach my children to research things before they endorse them, whether by listening, watching, buying or even talking about them, I have helped them succeed in life.

No comments: