Monday, February 26, 2007

When kids should be allowed to date

There are a few different aspects to consider when you are thinking about allowing your child to date. You need to look at the maturity of the child, whether they are old enough and responsible enough to handle the emotions and requests that come with dating. You also need to look at the sex of the child, and I know this sounds wrong but as a parent of two children, I would allow my son to date at an earlier age than I would my daughter. The major reason for this is that he would be able to handle himself physically in a relationship and I wouldn’t have to worry about him being pushed into something he didn’t want to do.

When you allow your children to date at an early age you are thrusting them into the dating scene, which includes emotions that they aren’t used to dealing with. I agree that they do have to learn how to handle these emotions, but I would prefer for them to be mature enough to handle the feelings that are coming their way. I also believe that every girl should be given lessons in how to protect herself. She should also be taught that it is okay to say no to anything on a date. I am very thankful to my family for teaching me these things and we are working on teaching my daughter the same things.

I believe that many children are allowed to date too early in life. They aren’t allowed to enjoy their teenage years for what they are, they believe that if they aren’t dating then they are a misfit or aren’t good enough. Yes, I know in history girls were married extremely young and that is an argument that many people use now to allow children to date as young as 12 or younger. I believe that children should be allowed to enjoy their childhood; they shouldn’t be rushed into dating. We might allow my daughter to date at 15, but only on double dates and we might allow her to go out on a regular date at 16, but it will depend on her maturity level. But then again, my husband and daughter are in negotiations for the dating age and she has worked him down to age 28. We will see if she is able to work on her negotiation skills and lower the age.

http://www.helium.com/tm/182697/there-different-aspects-consider

No comments: